Tuesday 16 May 2017

Even in my so-called off time, people didn’t forget me: Parineeti Chopra


Her last film release was Kill Dil in 2014. Parineeti Chopra has been missing from the big screen ever since as she decided to take a year-long break. Now, she is all set to be seen in her next film, Meri Pyaari Bindu (MPB). “I never felt like I was taking a break,” says the actor, as she talks about her career, personal life and the rumours surrounding her love life.

 It feels like it’s my first release (laughs). It’s been a while since I experience the feeling you get when a film releases. But I am very excited. I am very happy with Meri Pyaari Bindu. I look forward to seeing how people react [to the film]. Even in my so-called off time, people didn’t forget me thankfully. They still have expectations and want me to do well in a film. If people don’t have expectations of an actor, don’t miss him or her, or don’t want to see them on screen, then it goes exactly against what we work for, and it’s very scary.

It was the script. I read it and felt that it was a ‘very cool’ film. Also, I wanted to achieve a certain level of fitness before I started reading scripts. I took a break for only one year, and then I started shooting MPB. But by the time it is ready for release, another year has passed. I worked on my home, my personal life and my health during the break. But this was the one script that I felt connected to, as it is a sweet and feel-good film. Then, I decided to do Golmaal Again for a different reason — it’s a big venture and also for the commercial aspect of it. So I tried to choose different kinds of films, and now, they have all come together, so I am happy.

If people had forgotten me, written me off or didn’t miss me, I would be like, ‘Oh my God, I didn’t have any impact on their lives’. But that didn’t happen. I never felt like I was on a break. I was so busy even during that one year, shooting for ads and going for events, etc. Actually, that year went by very quickly.

Of course, I felt like, ‘I hope I am doing the right thing, or I hope I am not missing out on my time or any film’. That’s human, but somehow, I was very clear about what I was working towards and I knew that it was a means to an end. And that’s what has happened. So, thankfully, it all worked out.

I think I am part of this gang of girls, who are working in films at the same time but in different kinds of films. Everybody has a flop or two or a hit or a flop, but we are all in this together. The most beautiful thing is that we are all positive towards each other. We are constantly in touch and are constantly talking about and encouraging each other’s work. So, it really doesn’t feel like, ‘What is my standing?’ Nobody will believe this, but that feeling is genuinely not there between any of us. We stand up for each other. We are very friendly, and we also inspire each other.

Yes, but that’s what flop films do. They take any actor in the world a step back. However, with a hit, you move forward. It’s like a game of chess, wherein you move forward with every hit movie and with a flop you come back. So, since my last two films were flops, I am one step back. But the moment I deliver a hit film, I will be back to where I was. There are very few people who receive a dream start the way I had. I had four back-to-back hits and bagged all awards. But flop films will naturally affect an actor’s career. You have to understand and know that’s its fine. I don’t sit and say, ‘Arre ab main kya karun? (What do I do now?)’. I am not that kind of person.

You feel sad because you felt that the films would do well. But that’s the risk you take; it’s there with every film. There’s always a 50-50 chance [of it working]. I am an actor, and in the papers with all the limelight, but it comes with a huge risk. It is not as glamorous as it looks. It’s a gamble. It’s like that all over the world, be it in Hollywood, Bollywood or Tollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment